My work takes me too many exotic locales. I love to travel because I am immersed in another culture which allows me to absorb so much about the environment I am visiting. It always surprises me that what I read in the press is not what I encounter on the ground upon my arrival. The locals are always so hospitable and welcoming!
Doha which means “big tree” in Arabic is a fascinating city because of its location on the Persian Gulf, the beautiful desert landscape, numerous cultural activities and delicious cuisine one can sample. The new HAMAD airport designed by HOK architects is stunning. I travel intensely so I rate airports and the services they provide a global traveler. This airport with its chic lounges, expansive retail, various dining venues and architecture is one of the most memorable I have encountered recently.
You might ask what there is to do in Doha here are a few of my suggestions:
- Visit the Islamic Museum of Modern Art designed by I.M. PEI which I have written a detailed blog post on.
- Attend a performance of the Qatar Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Attend the Drag Races which host the fastest cars & bikes in the region.
- Attend the Park Bazaar on Saturdays through the end of May at the Islamic Museum of Art (MIA).
- Take an adrenaline charged desert safari and experience the beautiful desert landscape.
- Take in the Museum of Modern Arts (MAHTAF) and explore the exciting collection.
- Take a cruise on a traditional wooden DHOW.
- Go Snorkeling or diving in the Persian Gulf.
- Retail therapy either visiting a traditional SOUQ or one of the luxurious new malls.
- Dine at IDAM Alain Ducasse’s 1st entry into the Middle East or any other local establishment.
Wherever you decide to go internationally go explore as there is a rich world in front of us with fascinating places to visit! I am a much better person for all that I have been able to see and take in on my numerous travels. My travels have been my source of advanced education.